My Tickers

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Thoughts on resolutions

In general I don't make new years resolutions. I'm the type of person who tends to try to take each day as it comes and not promise myself I'll change something because tomorrow usually throws me a loop hole and suddenly I've broken my promise, failed at my resolution and that just kills what little self-esteem I have. Nope, I'm not one to deal with failure well, especially when it's my own.

So when my son asked me this morning what my new years resolution was, I went for something easy...I'll try to get the laundry folded and put away the day it gets washed instead of living out of the dryer and laundry baskets like we usually do. Alas...tonight I sit here, laundry in the dryer and no motivation to put it away! Yep, just like I knew would happen, I failed yet again. But when I asked my son what his resolution was, his reply cought me off guard

"I'm gonna try to not be such a butthead"

Yep, those are his exact words! He knows he gets angry, he knows he snaps like an alligator getting poked with a sharp stick. It's a common occurrance with the beginning of puberty, testosterone surging through his little veins making him all grumpy and irritable (say nothing about the side effects of adderral) Between the 2 our lives have been a nightmare recently and he knows it. If he can take on the challenge of his buttheadedness, then maybe I should try a little harder at the laundry thing, I'll start tomorrow and see where it leads me.

So what else can I try to change in the coming year? What other things do I want to see differently in another year? In my blog world, I want to see myself get better at posting my Thoughtful Thursdays. They really are good for my soul, they help me move onward and upward and I realized today that the past bothers me more when I don't put it into the computer and let it go. So I resolve to post those on as many Thursdays as possible. As for the rest of the week, I am going to try to blog at least every other day, talk about my boy, my life, my hubby, whatever comes to my mind :) In my personal world...I'm going to try to be a better parent, stick to my punishments no matter how much he cries and fusses about it not being fair. I'm going to be a better wife and be more tolerant of my poor husband who works so very hard to make our lives as comfortable as possible. I'm going to work very hard to become a better housewife and clean more than I do...I'm not the best at it I'll admit it. I have more "junk drawers" than any ordinary person should and I need to start making a new use for the drawers. I need to stop stacking things on my office desk to file and just file them away. I may be asking too much of myself if I said I was going to succeed at these things, so I'll go with I will try and maybe, just maybe, if I try hard enough I'll surprise myself and be a better person than I am today.

So what's your resolution? If a 9 year old can resolve to not be such a butthead then I'm sure you can think of something too!



No comments: