My Tickers

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cub Scout Flag Changing

Every year before Memorial Day the cub scouts go to the local graveyards and change the flags. They remove the old tattered flags



And replace them with new flags.




This is done to honor and show respect to all the soldiers who have died in service to our country. It teaches the children lessons about respect and honor.





Sadly it also teaches a reality we don't always want our children to learn. Here is Orion and one of his den mates as they happened upon a gravestone of a 14 year old girl. The grave was fresh, new dirt and fresh grass seed was planted. The gravestone had a photo of the girl on it and they were in awe that someone so young could die. At first they reasoned that the family had placed a photo of the girl when she was young on the stone, then they read the dates and did the math. This brought about a sad reality and they simply stood and stared at her stone wondering how one so young could possibly die. They kept saying "She was only 6 years older than we are!" They couldn't walk away from her stone for a full 10 minutes, it was difficult to watch. As I watched him stare at this girls photo it made me ever so thankful that my boy is here with me, thankful for every moment with him as I realized that at any second he could be taken away....and then where would I be??


2 comments:

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

What a beautiful thing for the boys to do... and what a sobering lesson for them to learn about our mortality, no matter the age.

Thanks for stopping by my blog on my SITS day...

D.

Unknown said...

That is SO COOL!