My Tickers

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The funny things kids say.....

This morning I made Orion poached eggs and toast. I told him I had intended to make him french toast sticks but I was all out of maple syrup. He asked why I didn't buy any at the store and I explained that maple syrup was very expensive right now. Last year they had their worst sugaring season in around 25 years and it made it more expensive. Then I explain how they should be tapping the trees and hopfully they will have a better season this year and the cost will come down to something more reasonable.

Orion looks at me with the wierdest look on his face and says

"What do you mean they tap the trees? What do trees have to do with Maple syrup?"

So I reply

"Well where do you think we get maple syrup from?"

Orion replies

"Vermont!"

I burst out laughing, it was too funny to me. I always thought he knew that maple syrup started in the maple trees. This turned into a lesson on maple syrup making and he was amazed to find out that it takes about 50 gallons of sap just to make 1 gallon of syrup! Now he understands why I call it liquid gold!

No comments: