My Tickers

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Whatever happened to Saturday morning cartoons???

This morning my son got up and as usual turned on the tv. As he searched through the guide I couldn't help but notice that the regular stations like ABC, NBC, CBS etc all had infomercials on and not a single cartoon. I realize there are now channels dedicated to kids programming, stations like Nick and Cartoon Network, but they don't always have programs that my son likes, they are on all the time .....and that's not the point! I feel like my kid is missing out on something wonderful, a favorite childhood pastime.

When I was a kid (and don't even get me started on how old I feel just saying that) every Saturday morning you turned on the tv  to CBS and you watched the Saturday morning cartoons. You got to watch such great things like Tom and Jerry or the Bugs Bunny Show. They were classics, fun programs that made you laugh and start your weekend off right. A kid can't seem to do that anymore because if they turn on those channels they are going to get things like P90X or some mini blender. There's great ways to lose weight, ways to camouflage your hair loss and ways to make yourself more beautiful or youthful looking...but sadly no laughter, no funnies, nothing for the children to enjoy. I remember the excitement of waiting all week just to see what thy would create next, what the next episode would be, or if perhaps they would play some really good old one that you hadn't seen in a really long time. It was something to look forward to, something to eat breakfast to, something to make the weekends extra special. They just aren't special anymore.

I really wish I knew what happened to Saturday morning cartoons cause they were one if the great things about bing a kid and I wish my kid could have experienced it.





From Blogger Pictures

No comments: