My Tickers

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It's never easy being a mom

Anyone who said it's an easy job, well they simply have never had children and they can not possibly be a mom.  We moms can all understand how it's not a walk in the park and some days contemplating a walk in the park is more of a nightmare waiting to happen. Some days kids just don't want to listen or they think they know more than you do or worse, they actually do seem to know more than you do. Those are the days when you have to just take a deep breath and remind yourself that much like any other job, this one has a learning curve and it seems to change constantly as they grow older. You think you know your kid and suddenly you realize you really don't anymore because they have grown and changed. That's what I am dealing with right now with my Wild Child.

Just this past weekend he went to his grandparents house to stay for a couple of days. It was a much needed break and I learned a whole new appreciation for the term "Silence is golden" when I realized just how stressed I have felt lately. Money is tight, I'm going through menopause and my work is exceptionally slow. There's always some kind of computer glitch or something that keeps me from doing my job and it's not on my end at all. This is totally on their end  but alas, no work means no money which means things will stay tight for a little longer, which means mom is stressed. I know I'm not stressing alone, heck hubby is stressing more than me because he is the big bread winner and his work is slow as well. Hubby and I have a new motto now, "It is what it is" and that's what we are trying to live by. If we have bad days, we hope for a better one tomorrow, it is what it is and there's nothing we can do to change it. We both enjoyed the little break we had while the Wild Child stayed at Gramma's house and we are fully refreshed.

Of course while The Wild Child was away we had the chance to talk which was nice. I swear that child has ears like a hawk and he hears everything. There's no adult conversation with him around because the one thing you don't want him to hear is the one thing he will certainly absorb like a sponge and start asking questions about. Tell him to wash up for dinner or take a shower, in one ear and out the other because he also has selective hearing. So it was nice to be able to have a conversation with my husband without little ears listening in. These are the moments when we can discuss parenting tactics and ideas without the boys input and trust me, that is important. We need to stand united and be able to discuss our opinions on things regarding medications, discipline, and even just everyday activities without the input of the 10 year old. Sometimes we have to argue back and forth and come to a compromise and that is way easier without the wild child lol he's a great kid but when he tries to help all he does is make the other parent feel ganged up on, frustrated and ultimately defeated.  So we enjoyed our time as just us, hashed out some new parenting rules and ideas since he is getting older, and we enjoyed laughing over the old days before there was a Wild Child and every day was a heck of a lot easier than it is now. I even got to vent a bit about my family and the stress that has been caused by them lately. Stress I'm not really ready to talk about on here, but let's just say that Sissy is so mad at me right now that she hasn't answered a text in almost a week! Sometimes it's good to feel like you're a 20-something again with no worries or stresses in your life. Of course after a couple of days of destressing and relaxing, the boy came home and life began again, life the way it is meant to be and a life that really I quite enjoy. It was nice to get things off my chest while he was away, but it's nice to have him back with his laughter and smiles that make every day worth being here for.


No comments: